Thursday’s TipPosted by Affording the Mouse
The countdown is on! In less than a month, we’ll be hanging out with Mickey and the gang at the Most Magical Place on Earth! Even though we’re seasoned Disney veterans, we still enjoy activities that build anticipation before our trip. Some of them are a matter of necessity (I get the big “Disney tub” out of the attic and begin packing; I start squirreling away snacks and breakfast items to take), while others are just for fun. Here are a few of my favorite ideas for building excitement before a Walt Disney World vacation:
- Watch the Disney Vacation planning DVD. It’s free, and tons of fun!
- Make some sort of countdown calendar. I’ve seen everything from a simple paper chain to an elaborate wall calendar using the Mickey-shaped paint chips you can get at Home Depot. Very creative!
- Serve a Disney-inspired meal. You can use a recipe for a Disney Parks favorite (many are readily found online), or simple purchase some of the pre-packaged Disney-themed food items that can be found in your local grocery store.
- Watch previous vacation home videos. We LOVE doing this as a family! It’s almost like being there.
- Shop for scrapbook items. There are tons of Disney-themed stickers, stamps, papers, and other items in most craft stores. Getting some of the prep work before your trip will both build anticipation and also motivate you to actually finish your scrapbook after your trip!
- Watch your collection of Disney animated features–yep, all of them (or as many as you can fit in). Since you might be running into some of the stars of these films, it’s a great idea to brush up on your knowledge of their stories before you see them.
How about you? Do you have any fun traditions or ways that you build anticipation before a Disney vacation? Let me hear them!