On Your Marks! Get Set! Run!Posted by Affording the Mouse
- January 7-10: Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend. This one kicks off the year with half and full marathons, as well as a Family Fun Run 5K. If that’s not enough for you, you can compete in Goofy’s Race & a Half Challenge. The name says it all: it’s a full 26.2-mile marathon with an extra 13.1 miles tacked on for fun. You’d have to be Goofy to take that challenge! (Rumor has it that the half marathon is already 95% full, and Goofy’s Challenge is 75% full.)
- March 5-7: Disney Princess 1/2 Marathon Weekend. Ladies, you can don your tiaras and glass slippers for this trek across the Walt Disney World Resort. The Royal Family 5K is available to everyone, not just princesses. (If I ever get to the point that I can actually run 13.1 miles, this is the one I’m going to do!)
- September 26: Expedition Everest Challenge 5K. This obstacle course race, set in Animal Kingdom, is for two-member teams. The race starts just after sunset.
- October 11: Race For the Taste. In conjunction with the International Food & Wine Festival at Epcot, this race offers a 10K or a 3K option. The post-race picnic promises to be an epicurean delight.
- October 24: Twilight Zone Tower of Terror 13K and 5K. Disney’s Hollywood Studios is the setting for this night race. At the post-race party, you can take in attractions including, of course, Tower of Terror.
Besides bragging rights, runners will receive medals, shirts, and goody bags at most races. Many of the courses have entertainment or character greetings along the way–which is a nice break for less competitive runners (like me!). Kids races are held on many of the race days. Special ticket prices are also available for some event weekends.